These four dishes harness the delicious power of pom + pistachio
Stuffed Acorn Squash
2 acorn squash, halved lengthwise, seeded
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 tsp chopped thyme
1 cup cooked whole-wheat couscous
1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
1/3 cup roasted, salted, shelled pistachios, chopped
1 Tbsp chopped parsley leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Brush cut sides of squash with 2 teaspoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place on baking sheet cut-sides down and bake for 25 minutes, or until tender.
2. In a skillet, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and saute for 2 minutes, or until softened. Stir in thyme and saute for 30 to 60 seconds, or until fragrant. Remove from heat and put in a bowl.
3. Add couscous, pomegranate seeds, pistachios, and parsley, and stir gently to combine.
4. When squash is done, transfer to a serving dish cut-sides up and divide couscous mixture among squash halves. Sprinkle with pepper, if desired.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Per serving: 260 cal, 9 g fat, (1 g sat), 44 g carbs, 125 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein
Three More Delicious Recipes:
1. Holiday cheese log: Combine 8 oz softened goat cheese and 1 minced garlic clove. Using waxed paper, shape into a 6″-long log. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Mix 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds and 1/3 cup chopped pistachios and press onto surface of log. Serve with crackers.
2. Nut-crusted chicken: Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with foil. Place a wire rack on top and coat with cooking spray. In a bowl, whisk 1 egg. In another, combine 3/4 cup ground pistachios, 1/2 tsp chili powder, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Dip 4 chicken breast cutlets in egg, then in nut mixture. Place on wire rack and bake for 25 minutes. In a saucepan, combine 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 1 cup pomegranate juice. Bring to a boil. In a bowl, blend 1/2 tsp cornstarch and 1/4 tsp water, then whisk into sauce. Simmer 15 minutes to reduce to a glaze, stir in 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds, and spoon over chicken.
3. Red ‘n’ green oatmeal: Cook 2 cups oatmeal according to package, substituting pomegranate juice for a quarter of the water. Stir in 1/4 cup shelled pistachios and 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds.