Not only does using starch make ironing easier, it also gives clothes that crisp, clean, fresh from the dry cleaners looks. Starching your clothes when ironing also helps to preserve your clothes as the dirt sticks to the starch and not the fabric. This homemade liquid starch recipe is quick, simple, and “dirt” cheap. It also gets a big high five due the that fact that it’s safe and non-toxic as opposed to commercial starches that contain formaldehyde.
Be warned spray and iron once wash 3x before you have to repeat!
Maja’s Magic Spray Starch Recipe (Small Batch) 3/4 of a normal spray bottle
- 1 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 2 cups water
- 2 to 3 tsp water
- Measure 1 1/2 tsps cornstarch in a cup and add 2 to 3 tsp of water.
- Whisk until smooth
- Pour 1 cup water in a small sauce pan.
- Heatwater until boiling
- Pour cornstarch mixture slowly into the water while whisking constantly.
- When the cornstarch mixture changes from milky to slightly opaque its almost ready
- Stir constantly and let cook for about a 60 seconds.
- Add 1 cup water whisking until mixed
- No lumps please!
- If I get any lumps that won’t whisk away I use a hand blender to make sure it is lump free.
- Let cool and pour into spray bottle.
Big tip add a level or slightly less table spoon of borax it is anti fungal and antibacterial as well as a preservative.
This will keep 2-3 months in normal room temperature.
Normal Spray Starch:
What You’ll Need:
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
3 3/4 cup tap water
2-3 drops of fragrant essential oil or lemon juice (optional)
Mix It Up:
Bring 3 3/4 cup tap water to a rolling boil.
While waiting for water to boil, mix the tablespoon of cornstarch into cold water. Stir constantly until cornstarch is completely dissolved.
Once water boils, slowly stir in cornstarch mixture.
If using essential oil or lemon juice, add to mixture and continue to stir for one minute.
Remove from heat and let cool.
After cooling add to a spray bottle.