Serves: makes 30
Cook: 25 min
1 tbsp vegetable oil
450g minced pork
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200g onion, finely chopped
225g Carrots, minced or grated
180g bean sprouts
300g Bamboo shoots, julienned
150g Spring onions, finely chopped
210g green cabbage, thinly sliced
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Soy sauce
30 lumpia wrappers
oil, for frying
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. Cook the pork, stirring frequently, until all the pinkness has gone. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Drain off any fat from the pan, leaving only a thin coating. Add the garlic and onion and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes to colour a little. Return the pork to the pan with the carrots, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, spring onions, and cabbage. Stir-fry for a few minutes more.
3. Season with the pepper, salt, garlic powder, and soy sauce. Remove from heat, and set aside until cool enough to handle.
4. Put 3 heaped spoons of the filling diagonally near one corner of each wrapper, leaving a 4cm space at both ends. Fold the side along the length of the filling over the top, tuck in both ends and roll neatly. Keep the roll tight. Moisten the other side of the wrapper with water to seal the edge. Cover with cling film until ready to fry to stop them drying out.
5. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Pour in oil to 1.5cm deep and heat for 5 minutes. Slide 3-4 spring rolls into the oil and fry 1 to 2 minutes, until golden on all sides. Drain off any excess oil on paper towels before serving.
Cook’s note: can be served with a vinegar dipping sauce with chopped onions and garlic.