Cook: 30 min
280g cornmeal, fine polenta or fine semolina
85g plain flour
2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 large egg
425ml buttermilk or natural yogurt
115g jarred chilli peppers, drained and chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Generously butter a shallow tin (around 25cm long) or a small roasting tin.
2. In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, flour and bicarbonate of soda and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. In a jug combine the egg, milk and yogurt and chillies .
4. Pour the contents of the jug into the bowl of dry ingredients and lightly combine, taking care not to over-mix as this will make the corn bread tough.
5. Pour the mixture into the buttered tin and bake for 25-30 minutes until firm and golden. Serve warm from the oven, cut into squares.