Cook: 10 min
200g ginger cake, chopped into chunks
a good glug of your favourite liqueur such as Tia Maria, or Baileys
75g flaked almonds, toasted
200g chocolate ice cream
200ml whipping or double cream, whipped
crushed shortbread, for sprinkling
chocolate shavings, to garnish
For the chocolate sauce:
225g plain chocolate, broken into squares
75ml double cream
1. First make the chocolate sauce. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water.
2. Meanwhile gently bring the milk, cream and sugar to the boil in a small saucepan. Stir the hot milk mixture into the melted chocolate and set aside to cool.
3. Place a few bits of ginger cake in the bottom of 4 sundae glasses.
4. Add a dash of liqueur to the cake, then top with a little chocolate sauce, followed by ice-cream, more chocolate sauce and toasted almonds.
5. Repeat until the glasses are nearly full. Top each portion with whipped cream, shortbread and chocolate shavings. Serve at once.