Cook: 30 min
500ml double cream
1 vanilla pod, split
5 egg yolks
200g caster sugar
3 large croissants
25g Butter, melted
175g white chocolate, grated
2 tbsp whisky
3 tbsp icing sugar
1. Set the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan, add the vanilla pod, and gradually bring to the boil.
3. Place the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl and mix well.
4. While the cream is heating, slice the croissants and place in an ovenproof dish, slightly overlapping the pieces. Sprinkle with sultanas and pour over the butter.
5. Once the cream has boiled, take it off the heat. Add the egg mixture and chocolate and stir well. Set aside to allow the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the whisky to the cream mixture.
7. Using a fine meshed sieve to strain the cream over the croissants. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until almost set.
8. Remove from the oven, coat the top with the jam, and dust with icing sugar. Caramelise the topping using a very hot grill or a cook’s blowtorch. This is best served at room temperature, with a spoonful of good quality ice cream.