Serves: makes one 20cm cake
Cook: 25 min
oil, for greasing
Flour, for dusting
200g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
200g self-raising flour, sifted
For the filling:
150ml double cream, whipped
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. Grease and flour two 20cm sandwich tins.
3. Combine the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl or food processor, and mix well to a creamy consistency.
4. Slowly beat in the eggs one by one.
5. Fold in the sifted flour.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes until well-risen, golden brown and springy when pressed.
7. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
8. Spread one cake with strawberry jam, followed by a layer of whipped cream. Place the other cake on top.