Serves: Serves 4-6
Cook: 10 min
1 vanilla pod, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
3 free-range egg yolks
50g caster sugar
250ml double cream, lightly whipped
350ml strong fresh coffee, cooled
2 tbsp rum
2 tbsp Kahlua
2 tbsp Tia Maria
about 300g Savoiardi biscuits or sponge fingers
2–3 tbsp Cocoa powder, sifted
1. Slit the vanilla pod lengthways, if using, and scrape out the seeds with the tip of a knife.
2. In a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar with the vanilla seeds or extract until thick and creamy using a hand-held electric or rotary whisk. The mixture is ready when a trail of foam forms as you lift up the beaters.
3. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Beat in the mascarpone, then fold in the whipped cream. Set aside.
4. Mix the coffee with the rum and liqueurs. Dunk the Italian biscuits or sponge fingers quickly into the coffee, making sure that they are completely immersed. If using sponge fingers, don’t leave in the coffee for more than a second, or they will turn soggy. Arrange the biscuits or fingers in a layer in a serving bowl and top with half the mascarpone and cream mixture.
5. Repeat with another layer of dunked biscuits or fingers and the remaining mascarpone and cream mixture. Sift the cocoa powder over the top in an even layer. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.