Cook: 1 hr
350g plain flour
3 tsp Baking powder
140g shredded suet
85g caster sugar
finely grated zest and juice of 2 Lemons
75ml whipping cream
custard or clotted cream, to serve
1. Soften half the butter and use to grease a 1.4 litre pudding basin.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, suet, sugar and currants in a large bowl, mixing well.
3. Melt the remaining butter and stir into the flour mixture.
4. Stir in the lemon juice and zest.
5. Combine the milk and cream in a small jug. Slowly stir enough into the mixture to bring it to a dropping consistency.
6. Pour the mixture into the pudding basin. Cover with a double layer of greaseproof paper (make a pleat in the middle to allow for expansion), tied in place with string.
7. Place the basin in a steamer basket set over boiling water. Cover and steam for about 1 – 1 1/2 hours until cooked. Check the water level now and again to make sure it doesn’t burn dry.
8. Serve with custard or, if you’re feeling wicked, a big dollop of clotted cream.