Cook: 10 min
1 vanilla pod, split
6 egg, yolks
50g caster sugar
300g white chocolate
70g raspberry jam
225g plain sponge cake, sliced
200g fresh raspberries
400ml double cream
25g flaked almonds, lightly toasted, to decorate
1. To make the custard, bring the milk to the boil with the split vanilla pod.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks with the sugar and cornflour.
3. Once the milk is boiling remove it from the heat and add 200g of the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted, and then pour it into the egg mixture.
4. Return the mixture to the pan and stir over a gentle heat until the custard coats the back of a wooden spoon (do not allow the mixture to boil or it will curdle). Leave to cool.
5. Spread the jam over the slices of sponge cake.
6. Grate the remaining chocolate.
7. Layer the sponge, raspberries, sherry and grated chocolate in a large glass bowl, and press the mixture gently down.
8. Whip the double cream and either pipe it onto the trifle or spread it on with a spoon and spike it with a fork.
9. Refrigerate overnight.
10. Sprinkle with the toasted flaked almonds just before serving.