Serves: Makes 8 slices
Cook: 40 min
oil, for greasing
225g clear honey, such as acacia or orange blossom
6 Eggs, separated
115g plain flour, sifted
115g ground hazelnuts
Sifted icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c/ gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
2. Leaving the honey in its jar, place in a saucepan of hot water to keep it runny.
3. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff.
4. Put the egg yolks in a large bowl. Pour the honey over the yolks and beat well.
5. Gradually beat in the sifted flour and ground hazelnuts.
6. Stir in the milk.
7. Using a large metal spoon, fold about one-third of the egg whites into the mixture to slacken it, then carefully fold in the rest.
8. Pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
9. Leave to cool in the tin. When cold, turn out and dust with icing sugar.