Serves: Makes 6 slices
Cook: 50 min
140g soft brown sugar
85g clarified beef dripping
225g mixed dried fruit and candied peel
oil, for greasing
225g wholemeal flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1 pinch of ground cinnamon
1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 pinch of ground allspice
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
unsalted butter or clotted cream
1. Put the sugar, dripping, dried fruit and candied peel into a saucepan. Add the water and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, then allow to cool in the pan.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 18cm cake tin.
3. Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle. Add the cooled dried fruit mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon, gradually drawing in the flour from around the edge of the well, until you have a smooth batter.
4. Spoon into the prepared tin. Bake for about 40 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
6. Cut into slices and serve thickly spread with butter or clotted cream, and raspberry jam.