Cook: 1 hr 5 min
250g ready-made sweet shortcrust pastry (pâte sucrée)
750ml whipping cream
12 egg yolks
115g caster sugar
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Roll out the pastry and line a 30cm loose-bottomed flan tin, leaving any excess pastry to hang over the edge (do not trim until after the pastry has been cooked).
3. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Bake for 8-10 minutes, then remove from the oven.
4. Remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans. Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C/gas 2.
5. Heat the cream in a saucepan without letting it boil.
6. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and caster sugar for 3-4 minutes until pale and thick.
7. Gradually whisk the hot cream into the mixture, being careful not to let the egg yolks curdle.
8. Pour the mixture into the cooked pastry case. Sprinkle with the allspice.
9. Bake for 50 minutes or until the custard is set.
10. Remove from the oven, trim the edges carefully and allow to cool. Serve at room temperature.