Cook: 10 min, to melt the chocolate
For the crème pâtissière
1 litre Milk
12 egg yolks
For the sponge
175g dark chocolate
175g white chocolate
300g whipped cream
25 cm plain sponge cake, for the base
1. To make the crème pâtissière, heat the milk in a saucepan until boiling.
2. Mix eggs, flour and sugar together and slowly add the boiled milk. Return the pan to the heat and stir constantly for about 10 minutes, until the mixture forms a smooth, thick custard.
3. Melt the dark and white chocolate in separate bowls over pans of simmering water. Set aside.
4. Whip the cream to firm peaks.
5. Divide the crème pâtissière between two separate bowls.
6. Fold the dark chocolate into one and the white chocolate into the other.
7. Divide the whipped cream between each and fold this in.
8. Slice the sponge base horizontally into one centimetre thick round slices and drizzle over the brandy.
9. Put one slice of sponge in the bottom of a deep 25cm flan ring, spoon over the dark chocolate mixture.
10. Place a second slice of sponge on top of the mix, then cover with the white chocolate mix. Chill for two hours.
11. After chilling, remove ring with the aid of a kitchen blowtorch. Gently blow torch the top to form a mottled brown effect, slice with a hot knife and serve.