Cook: 20 min
3 tbsp caster sugar
4 tbsp ready-made custard
4 egg whites
3 small bananas
4-6 tbsp shop-bought toffee sauce or caramel sauce
mint sprigs, to decorate
vanilla ice cream, (optional), to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 5.
2. Grease four ramekins using half the butter. Sprinkle the insides with 1 tablespoon of the sugar.
3. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar with the custard.
4. Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff.
5. Using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the egg whites into the custard.
6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared ramekins and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen.
7. While the soufflés are cooking, peel the bananas and slice in half lengthways.
8. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and add the remaining 25g of butter. When it’s nut brown, add the remaining sugar and the halved bananas. Fry on both sides, taking care not to break them, until nice and golden.
9. Pour the toffee or caramel sauce into the bananas, stirring carefully until thoroughly warm.
10. To serve, arrange the warm bananas on individual plates, the soufflé on the side and, if you dare, a dollop of vanilla ice cream. Decorate with a mint sprig.