Serves: Makes about 3 litres
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 2 hrs 15 min, to 3 hours 15 minutes
4 litres cold water
5 Spring onions, sliced
1 medium-sized leek, sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
2 small celery sticks, sliced
8 Bay leaves
1/2 bunch of flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 x 75g garlic bulb, halved crossways
4 tsp White peppercorns
4 tsp sea salt
1. Rinse the chicken and trim away excess fat from inside and outside cavity.
2. Cut the chicken into pieces and put in a large saucepan with all the other ingredients.
3. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, skimming with a ladle to remove any impurities.
4. Turn down the heat until the surface of the stock is barely moving and cook for 2 hours, skimming as required.
5. Remove the stock from stove, strain through muslin, cool and store in refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in freezer for 2-3 months.
“This is a good all-round chicken stock with clean flavours.”